Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One week down...looking back!


In one of my goals, I said that I wanted to blog more.  Well…once a week?  That’s where I am right now.  Making my big goals and breaking them into little ones.  It’s not been easy.  I’ve been quite frustrated with myself.  I decided to list the things I’ve struggled with.

  1. I LOVE food.  I’m just going to throw it out there.  Actually, I freakin’ love food.  I mean, come on, who doesn’t?  I’m super jealous of those people who LOVE healthy food.  I do not.  I never have.  Unless I get magically rich and can hire a personal check to cook for me (small, healthy, proportionate meals), I doubt I ever will.  Here’s the thing, I know that people say, but ohhh Coley, it can be easy!  Yes, probably, but I don’t like to take the time to think constantly about what I am eating.  To overcome this I’ve realized that the Special K diet helps me.  You don’t have to think so much about doing it.  I (for the most part…) did okay with it last week.  I want to try it again this week and then maybe the next week do more of a calorie count. 

I’m not going to lie though; it saddens me to not be able to eat the food I’m used to.  I love eating good food, not that healthy food can’t be good, but I like not thinking about the amount of calories that are about to enter my mouth.  Learning not to eat everything in sight is a challenge I’m learning to overcome.  So, smaller goal…smaller meals and not eating everything in sight J 

  1. Weekends are hard…I love to travel and visit on the weekends with my friends.  I love going home and seeing my family.  All of this usually means at some point, I will be eating and not on a strict schedule.  Now, I will say, I was super proud of myself this past Saturday.  I packed my Special K and snacks and did pretty well.  However, night time fell and PF Changs came…and oh my.  Look back up to #1…what do I love?  FOOD.  It’s hard.  I hate thinking about ‘healthy options’, blah blah.  No fun!  So…smaller goal?  Less travel (for now) and when I do, making a conscience effort to pack healthy snacks and when we do go out, eat a healthy option. 

  1. Work gets in the way of working out!  So does weather, errands, and the other daily things that goes on in life.  I had amazing intentions of working out every day last week!  It happened…once L  Sad, I know.  It rained a couple days; I had some meetings after school…so on and son forth.  I know that I could’ve worked out inside, but boo!  That is no fun!!  My friend, Case, has been good about that.  Inside workouts.  Smaller goal: Try to at least do 20 minutes of something active everyday this week!  Whether walking, jumping jacks, dancing around the house (check!!), or anything that is more active.

  1. STUPID SCALES!  I had the brilliant idea of getting a scale…AKA…the machine that should be thrown out!  I hate scales, but I felt like I needed something to be able to go by and chart myself.  I weighed myself at 6:00 and weighed one weight.  I weighed the next morning and had gained 5 pounds…you know, that sleep weight…what the crap?!  Then, I weighed myself 24 hours later and had gained another 3 lbs. So 8 lbs in 24 hours.  Wow.  I decided against throwing it out.  But, ohhh, I really wanted to!  Smaller goal: I am only going to weigh myself ONCE a week.  I don’t know if it’ll help, but at least I won’t be constantly discouraged!!

  1. I am a PERFECTIONIST!  I hate not doing well at things.  I do not diet or exercise well.  It’s so frustrating!!  I want to see results immediately and unfortunately, with dieting that doesn’t always happen.  Smaller goal: Stick it out!  One week at a time!  Remind myself that this will take time, but it will be worth it!

That was a lot.  I guess I made up for not blogging every day!!  Even though I’m sure there are only about 3 people that read this, I want to remind myself of my struggles and prove to myself that I can do this!  You know the saying…what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger!  

3 comments:

Lora Weaks said...

I'm so proud of you Coley! And here is a secret of mine. Do you know why I teach an exercise class once a week? Because I MUST have accountability. I had much rather sleep, sit on the couch and EAT than to run laps, lift weights and do squats! But knowing that those women are counting on me makes me drag my butt out of bed an do it. Keep taking those small steps...they still get you to your destination! Love you!

Unknown said...

Coley, you are reading my mind!! I was literally getting ready to blog about these exact issues!

The only thing is that I do like to weigh in the morning (after using the restroom), because that's when I'm the lightest. And I weigh everyday, but I know that does not work for everyone.

Anyway, couldn't have stated it better myself!!

Lindsey Kennedy said...

I am one of the 3! There are definitely others that are reading too! You can do all of these things you write about. I'm proud of you for setting goals and seeing them through! Love you!

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...