Monday, February 9, 2015

One Month "Weigh in"

It has been a month since I started my diet health improvement plan.  There have been a couple snags, but overall it's been a great experience.  Here are some thoughts on the past month:
  • I absolutely could not do this without the support of my friends and family.  Positive messages, texts, and phone calls help me to make it up this upward hill journey.
  • I miss soft drinks the most.  I went 20 days straight without one, but decided to "treat" myself with one last Friday night.  I was worried that it would be like "falling off a wagon", but I was satisfied with one and moved on.
  • Breakfast is the hardest meal!  Probably because I never give myself enough time to get ready for the day.  By the time I've showered, dressed, fixed my hair and makeup, packed my lunch (which is a challenge of its own), I'm left with only a few minutes to decide on what to eat.  I've figured out some quick options that I try to rotate.  
    • I love Quaker's "Weight Control" instant oatmeal (160 calories).  Variety of flavor and super quick!!  
    • I also enjoy Carnation's "Essential Breakfast" chocolate mix (130 calories).  It helps get in a lot of vitamins and that needed calcium.  
    • I was on a big Raisin Bran kick, but have rotated from that (mainly because fiber + teaching a 90 minute period afterwards = awkwardness).  
    • Protein bars - jeez...I've tried just about every brand and every flavor.  I'm always trying new ones and looking for new flavors/options.  My favorite so far have just been the Food Lion and Target brand protein bars.  They're usually 180 calories.
    • Fresh fruit is wonderful...when I have time to get it together.  I cut up apples, grapes, strawberries, and mandarin oranges the other morning and it was scrumptious!  However, it does take some extra time...so it's not always an option for me.
    • SMOOTHIES!  My newest test...I have tried about 4 different recipes!  I'm still learning.  Yesterday, I made a banana-chocolate-peanut butter protein smoothie that was pretty good!  
  • Lunch and dinner have just been a "try it out" kind of thing.  I have found things that keep me full and satisfied for lunch, and then other meals that are light enough for dinner, but still filling.  Dinner is hard because I am so tired by the end of the day.  Trying to make something healthy and nutritious can be a challenge.  I have been pinning all sorts of things to try on Pinterest
  • Healthy eating can be CRAZY EXPENSIVE!!  My goodness!  The first week I went shopping (granted I needed to get some extra stuff) was over $100!  I was flabbergasted.  However, the past few weeks have been much better.  I have tried to pre-plan my meals for the upcoming week.  This way I'm not buying food I don't need.
  • Cheat meal - this is something that I did too early in the game.  I wasn't ready for a lot of food, but this past weekend was better (I usually save my "cheat meal" for the weekend).  This past Sunday I went to my friend's Super Bowl party and allowed myself to indulge a little bit.  It was amazing how lethargic and "yucky" I felt the next day.  I definitely realized how much better I feel by eating healthier.
  • My cousin Leah is the best!  I have an advantage of being related to and close friends with a personal trainer and great nutritionist.  Leah has walked me through every step.  I call her with weekly updates and she gives me tips and advice for what to eat, what not to eat, what to watch out for, and tips for working out.  It's been very motivational because I always want to tell her my accomplishments!!
  • Exercise is still hit or miss.  I did join the YMCA.  I have been to 4-5 Zumba classes (and LOVE them), swam in the Y's pool, and did some elliptical/bike exercises, but I would like to do more.  Currently (about 4 weeks into joining the Y), I average going 1-2 times a week...which is not a lot.  I give the excuse of work and it being late and blah blah, but I really just need to bite the bullet and GO!!
  • THE STUPID SCALE - ugh.  So evil.  It's like this tempting little minx in the corner just calling me over.  Leah has really urged me to only weigh ONCE a week.  She said that some people don't even weigh, rather they measure (which I haven't done yet).  It's still hard, I really want to know every single day, but if I do that, it'll drive me crazy!!
Overall, it's been okay.  It's hard, but I knew it would be.  I'm learning portion control, resisting temptations, and eating new things!!  It's hard coming up with meals and it's hard sticking with a plan, but I'm focused and determined.  

5 Week Weigh in - down 14 lbs
10 Week Weigh in GOAL - 14 (more) lbs (28 total)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So proud of you. I know you feel so much better and once you see it coming off that will make it all worth while. The most important is your health. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading about your success.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful job you are doing!!!! You owe it to yourself to enjoy good health because you are such a deserving person!! I could not be prouder of you!!!

mombarrier said...

I love you my Coley girl. I know what a struggle it is. I hate you got your love for eating from me. You are starting to inspire me. Keep up the great work my little sweet punkin!

Kim Loye said...

You've got this girl!!! The words are jumping off of the screen with the excitement you're putting behind them!! Don't forget to post pics....they are an important part of this beautiful success story. When you hit the 28th pound, you're going to need a weekend in Wilmington! Keep us posted 😊

Kim Loye said...

You've got this girl!!! The words are jumping off of the screen with the excitement you're putting behind them!! Don't forget to post pics....they are an important part of this beautiful success story. When you hit the 28th pound, you're going to need a weekend in Wilmington! Keep us posted 😊

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...