Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Little Look Back

I have been meaning to write and catch up on the summer and a few of the books I've enjoyed over the past few months, but haven't been able to gather my thoughts and sit down long enough to type.  I will get to those posts, but first....

I wanted to write today because as I was perusing my blog the other day, I realized that I wrote my very first post EIGHT YEARS AGO TODAY!  Where does the time go?

It was so weird to read that post.  Eight years ago, I was moving into my little apartment in Eden and starting my very first teaching job.  Since then, I've lived in 4 (going on 5) different places and cities and taught at 2 (going on 3) different schools.  OHHH WHAT I COULD TELL LITTLE COLEY.

I won't bore you with all the coulda woulda shouldas....but from reading that old post, I do see that I  have grown from that scared 22 year old to the slightly more "with it" 30 year old.  (PS - when you write out the numbers, it makes you really see your age...jjjjeeeeezzzzzz).

Here are 8 things I've learned in the past 8 years:

1. Even when life gets scary and hard, learning how to roll with the punches is a must.  There have been several times when I've been at my wit's end and I've had to let go of my insecurities, anxieties, and frustrations, and just go with the flow.  SIDE NOTE: this doesn't always mean I do this....
2. The time I have spent with family and friends is invaluable.  I will never ever take that time for granted.  These people....my people...have held me up, cushioned my falls, and pulled me into their arms when I felt that I was falling apart.
3. Teaching has produced some of the hardest times in the past eight years, but the lessons I have gained are so important to me.  I am thankful for all my time in the classroom even if it has resulted in several gray hairs.
4. I've learned that sometimes you need to turn off the computer and tv and just read or write.  This is actually something I want to get better at, but there's still some years to work on that.
5. Tiny humans have made my heart double...no, triple in size.  My sister's son, my best friends' sons, my cousin's daughters have all brought such light, joy, and love into my heart.
6. Pictures are phenomenal ways to document the memories you make in life, but at the same time...sometimes you have to just live in the moment (another thing I'm still working on).
7. TRAVEL - traveling has been one of the best things I've been forturnate enough to do.  I love visiting new places, sight seeing, people watching, trying new things, immersing myself in new places is something I hope I always get to do.  So many more places to go....
8. Life is short.  Enjoy it.


No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...