Sunday, February 1, 2009

Am I A Real Teacher Yet?

I am still not doing the best job of keeping up with the blog. I am constantly trying to figure out how to balance everything in my life. Just keeping up with teaching is quite a task. I figure if something has to suffer...the blog might have to be it.

I finished with my first semester of students as a 'real' teacher. I still can't believe that I'm a real teacher. Whatever the definition of 'real' means. My first students have gone on and now I'm onto 'round 2'. My new classes seem pretty good. It's early in the game to make any predictions. Fingers crossed they'll be a good group.

I've learned so much in these past 6 months. (Whoa! 6 months!!) This time last year I was becoming a full time student teacher and now it's real! Earlier in the year (well technically it was last year, my years are measured by the school calendar, haha) I included a 'what I've learned' list. I've expanded...this is part II:

1) Teenagers are some of the most interesting creatures I have ever seen. They constantly make me ask myself, "Did I really act like that when I was their age??".

2) English teachers are funny. The people I work with never cease to bring humor into my life. There have been countless afternoons spent in one of our classrooms just laughing. It keeps me sane.

3) It's true. All you really needed to know...you learned in kindergarten. Sharing is still important (esp. with lesson plans!), kindness goes a long way, lunch time is the best part of the day, friends are the cornerstone of life, and when you finally get to see your Mommy, it's amazing!

4) I love making my students laugh. I tell the corniest jokes ever just to make them chuckle. They think I'm a dork, but the truth is, I love seeing their smiling faces.

5) Friends are essential. My group of girls e-mail each other daily and it has been one of the things that has gotten me through this sometimes really really hard year.

6) Family is crucial. I don't know where I would be if I couldn't call my Mom at night, just to hear her voice and know that she is right there, right where I left her in Morganton, and more importantly, her love is in my heart, and as corny as it sounds, carrying it around with me has made all the difference.

7) Copying Machines are of the devil. I strongly believe there should be a class in college devoted to how to un-jam, restock, compute, and figure out!!

8) I can't always see it, and I don't know that I have yet, but I have a feeling that this job is worth it.

I know I've learned more, but I can't think of anything else right now, haha. I am still learning. I think I'll be learning from this job 'til the day I retire from it or leave one! Haha, just kidding. But I am still learning, everyday, constantly.

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...