Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring Fever

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" ~Mark Twain

It seems as if the weather has gone from cold to hot with no in between. While I bask in the loveliness that this warm sun offers, I miss that stage where it's just a little chilly, gradually getting warmer during the day. Not wake up it's 80, goes to 90, then back to 80. WHOA. It is beautiful though. I can't complain. Hot leather in my car on the legs isn't fun, but not wearing a jacket and laying by the pool...totally worth it.

The sunshine must bring out the crazy in some of my students though. They have Mr. Twain's "Spring Fever" so bad they can't stand it! It never fails that every day I will hear one of my students ask in their sweet little I-want-something voice, "Can we PLEASE go outside???". It's one of the disadvantages of teaching high school students, no more recess. We should bring that back to high schools. Too bad they'd probably be behind the tree making out...gross.

With the sun also brings out sweet memories from my childhood. Coming home every day, kicking off hot shoes and putting on 'play clothes' and running outside. My childhood was spent outdoors with my sister and neighbors. Exploring the woods that bordered my house. Running, hiding, swinging, and discovering new 'hiding places' in the woods. I miss it dearly.

Maybe in honor of Mark I'll let my Spring Fever come out and go enjoy the sun once again. Run through the streets with a big happy smile on my face, glad the sun is here, glad the warmth is here, please don't go away!

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...