Saturday, January 17, 2015

2014 Top Ten

This is a little late...

I began a draft of this post a few weeks ago (trying to be ahead of schedule and all), but then my computer shut down (ahhh, technology) and when I went to open it again, bam...half the post was gone.  I cussed said forget it and moved on...and on...and forgot about it.

BUT...I'm back!  Instead of a post with a million pics (like I had originally intended), I decided just to do another top ten (like last year).

2014 was a great year!  Lots of happy moments filled with lovely people.  These aren't really in any order, just as it comes to mind.

1. Welcome, Baby Brooks!

On January 13th, one of my best friends, Casey, brought this precious baby boy into the world.  I anxiously made my way down to Georgia a few days later and was able to spend several days with the new little family.  It has been so much fun watching Brooks grow this year!  He's sweet, giggly, loving, and so well behaved!  It's also been a wonderful transition to see Case move into motherhood - she's pretty fabulous at it!!  Great way to start the year :)




2. Thad turns ONE!!

In June,  we celebrated Thad's first birthday!  It was quite a year with this little guy.  Right before he turned one, I visited and was able to see Thad really start to walk!  I have a video with him walking to me and it melts my heart every.single.time.  Kyle and Meg threw a "farm" themed birthday for the little guy, and I think everyone had fun!!  Lots of laughs, cake, and happiness was shared by all who attended! 




3. Welcome to the world, Wyatt!

On June 25th, another one of my besties, Kelly, welcomed her bouncing, beautiful baby boy, Wyatt!  She had kept the name a secret, and I was so excited to finally hear the name!  I was able to visit Wyatt at the hospital the day after he was born.  He was (and still is) absolutely precious!  Wyatt has been a joy to spend time with and get to know.  Another baby boy added to the family!




4. Capping Ceremony Speech

When one of my colleagues and friends came to me and told me about her idea to start the tradition of a capping ceremony at RCHS, I was so excited!  I quickly told her I would love to speak at it if she needed me to.  When she asked several month later, I happily accepted!  It was such an honor to speak in front of so many students whom I had taught, loved, supported, and watched grow over the past 4 years.  It was definitely a highlight of the year and my career.



5. Summer Travels (and hanging with my lil guys!)

I didn't travel quite as extensively as I have in the past, but I spent a lot of quality time with my little guys!  I traveled to Durham, Raleigh, and GA several times to visit and snuggle with my little nuggets.  I will forever treasure this time that I have with them while they are still tiny!






6. Meg and Caro Graduate

In May, two of my favorite people received degrees from their respective colleges. It happened to be on the same day too!  I did double duty to make it to both and watch their HUGE accomplishments.  Caroline graduated from both Duke (with a Masters of Divinity) and UNC-Chapel Hill (with a Masters of Social Work).  It was a beautiful ceremony!  

My sister graduated from NC State with her degree in horticulture.  I was so proud as my sister got her diploma.  She has accomplished so much in her young life, and I am just happy I get to tag along as the "big sis"! 




7. NCTE and Exploring DC

Last year I was able to travel up to Boston to attend the NCTE - a HUGE conference for English teachers!  My English partner in crime, Emily, went as well.  We traveled up there with her department and had a blast!!  I learned a lot, got to explore a new city, and spent some quality time with one of my best friends!!  A bonus was presenting with my English Methods teacher who I admire greatly!  Even though there were only 3 people at the session (last slot of the last day), we had a good time!





8. Meg and Kyle get hitched!

Easily one of the best moments of my life was watching my sister walk down the aisle at her wedding.  I was thrilled to be her maid of honor and help her celebrate her special day.  Thad was PRECIOUS as the ring bearer.  The whole weekend was great and a true celebration of love.  




9. Leah and Kelsey get married!

Our family did a lot of celebrating this year!!  In September, my cousin Leah married her wife Kelsey.  They went up to DC for the actually ceremony, but we had a reception in Morganton the next weekend.  It was another wonderful celebration of love and happiness!!



10. Winston GG Weekend

It had been a year and two babies since all the girls had been able to spend a weekend together.  It was a HUGE bonus all the husbands, babies, and boyfriends made it too!  We had a lot of food, laughs, and talking time.  It is truly a remarkable thing to have 6 best friends who just fall back into old times when we're together.  It was an amazing weekend!  We already have our next 3 years of trips planned!!



WHAT A YEAR!  It was a good one!  It wasn't all bubbles and glitter, there were definitely some down moments as well, but looking over these moments, I am reminded of how blessed my life is.  I'm reminded of all the family, friends, and babies that fill my life and heart with abundant amounts of love.  I'm hoping 2015 is just a magical!




No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...