Friday, August 1, 2008

Little Things


"It isn't the big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones."

~Jean Webster


It is so often in this fast-paced, changing, and all together crazy world, that we don't take the time to enjoy the little things. Like how I am sure that my friend, Caroline, would be content looking outside a window to the mountains her entire life. She loves the beauty and spirit that lies within them. Or my friend Case looks so peaceful when her eyes look at the vastness of the ocean, like the world is perfect in those moments caught in the shore. It is the peace we find in the little moments, the little things. Everyone has their 'little things'. The little things that bring us joy.

I have lots of ‘little things’. Like the smile on a child’s face, as if the world is perfect through their tiny eyes. Finding a new great song and sharing it with my friends then singing it loudly in a car. Listening to an old song from your childhood that invokes so many wonderful memories (Reba…). Laying around the living room with all of your best friends and laughing and telling stories and eating. Sitting on the beach and looking at the great big ocean, feeling the peace that only it can give me. When my Mom calls me lovebug. My Granny singing to me. Taking pictures that will remind me of good times when I look back at them. When I am driving early in the morning and can catch the sunset coming up. Traveling to a new place and seeing all that it has to offer.

When we’re able to stop and look at everything around us, we can see how amazing the world is. It’s easy to overlook all of it with all the craziness that the it brings, but it also brings simple joys and pleasures. Those are what makes the world a better place.

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...