Sunday, August 24, 2008

What Are You Waiting For?

“I can hear God now
From a silver cloud
I got plans for you child
What are you worried about?
You know life's too short
What are you waiting for?”
~Heidi Newfield

Workdays are over! It has been an exhausting week of getting to know everyone, meetings, convocation, setting up my room, and lesson plans. I still don’t feel completely ready, but tomorrow is the big day! D-day approaches…

The English dept. is absolutely amazing; they have taken care of me and made me feel right at home. The whole school is really great. I have enjoyed getting to know everyone. There is a sense of having to prove myself, being the ‘new girl’ and all. I think that is why I have been so worried about my lessons and getting them ‘just right’. There are a lot of components to teaching English, it’s not just the literature, but remembering to teach the concepts, analyzing the literature, looking at the grammar, understanding the author, and figuring out vocab. There is so much I want to teach them, but I mainly just want to teach my students to love literature. To love it the same way Mrs. Vaughn and Mrs. McKinney did when I was in high school.

Everyone is quickly finding their ways in the new lives we’ve been presented. Meeting people and still finding time to call and e-mail one another to catch up. One of my favorite quotes from Grey’s Anatomy is when Meredith says, “We’re adults, when did that happen? And how do we make it stop?” - That about sums up my life, but with all its headaches, I’m kind of enjoying it too. I was telling another English teacher the other day that all my life I’ve loved hanging out with adults. Since my Mom was a teacher at my elementary school I always got to be with the teachers and hang out with them. Now I’m the adult, I’m the teacher. Kind of crazy!

Like I said before, life is an adventure, this is the beginning of this ride…so the best I can figure is to throw my hands up in the air and enjoy it!

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...