Monday, January 21, 2013

The Inner Kid

"The things which the child loves remain in the domain of the heart until old age.  The most beautiful thing in life is that our souls remaining over the places where we once enjoyed ourselves." -Kahil Gibran

I saw a picture of a sign one time that said, "Don't grow up, it's a trap!"  I completely agree!  I have had so many blessings as I've entered this "trap", but sometimes it still feels like I'm stuck in this world that isn't all that fun.  Wouldn't it be so much easier to just sit down with cereal in the morning and wait for our mom's to dress us and then drive us to school?  Now I'm the one in charge and sometimes, well, it's hard!

This weekend I traveled to visit my dear friend Kelly in Raleigh.  We always have a great time together.  We reminisce about high school and college, but we're both teachers, so it's nice to talk about all the frustrations that come with that train ride too.

On Sunday, we decided to take a walk and in her neighborhood there's a small park on the way.  This park is obviously designed for small people, however, when do you get a chance to enjoy a park at 26?!  So, my friends, to entertain me, went with me and for 15 minutes we got to be 5 year old's again.

This was seriously the first time I've been down a slide in probably 2 decades.  Not going to lie, they're kind of scary at 26 years old.

Caro's turn...


Not made for adults...but had to try!




The best part of it was swinging.  I forgot how much freedom comes with the feeling of going up and down in the air.  I wish that I could have that feeling more often.  We get so caught up in a million things that life tends to bog us down, but man, that feeling of freedom, how intoxicating!  I wish I could bottle it up.  Maybe I should just sneak down to the park more often!!

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...