Monday, October 14, 2013

Get up and Walk for Carrie!!

One of my best friends, Carrie, is coming up on her 20th year of living with diabetes.  From just being in the room and interacting with her, you would never know that anything is wrong with her.   I think that's how she likes it.

Carrie is a gentle spirit who lifts up her friends in every way possible.  She always encourages, pushes, and helps any friend or student in need.  I've been fortunate enough to know Carrie for almost a decade now.  We grew up in the same hometown, but it wasn't until high school we became close.  While in college, we decided to live together (and with her sister, Em).  The three of us decorated, smiled, laughed, ate, hosted get together's, and danced...a lot.

I know from living with Carrie and from being her close friend all these years that living with diabetes isn't always an easy journey.  She struggles with her blood sugar from time to time, and I think it has to be frustrating to have to constantly be thinking about what she's eating and doing.  But you see, the thing is....she handles this with the most abundant amount of grace ever.

I've been with Carrie when she's had lows and know the physical and mental toll it takes on her body and mind.  She always perseveres through it and continues smiling.  I know that teaching can be a daunting task to the most physically sound person, so I know that there are times where it's a challenge living with diabetes and teaching.  Instead of focusing on what might be pulling her down, she instead chooses to always talk about the positives with her students, her job, and all the awesome lessons and activities she's planning.

When I think of Carrie, I don't think of diabetes, rather I think of my hilariously warm friend who loves to sing to the radio.  I think of the girl who jumped on my bed and yelled in delight when our classes were cancelled in college.  I think of the girl who loves God with every ounce of her being.  I think of the gentle spirit who guides her family, friends, and students with love, light, and beaming joy.

On October 26th I will be walking for the JDRF.  I am so proud and excited to walk next to my friend and honor her and those who choose to celebrate their life.  I would be so thankful if you could donate to this amazing foundation.  It would be the greatest blessing to one day find a cure for all of those affected by this disease.  Carrie is a beautiful example of how you can choose light over darkness, and how if you stumble or fall...you just get right back up...and dance ;)

Here is the link to my site for Carrie: ( http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/fightforcarrie )

"Carrie's Crew" from the 2007 walk in Raleigh

The wonderfully awesome Bennett family

She gets up...
She walks.
She might fall down...
BUT,
She keeps on dancing!


I adore this sweet friend!

Love this pic!


1 comment:

Christina Holst said...

This is a beautiful post Coley. My favorite line is, "I think of the gentle spirit who guides her family, friends, and students with love, light, and beaming joy," because this describes Carrie to a t! I wish I could walk with you all, but I will be thinking of you and glad you will be there to support her! Praying that a cure will be found.

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...