Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hug a Teacher

I've been partial to teachers ever since I can remember.  My mom is a teacher.  My cousin was a teacher.  I'm a teacher.  Four of my best friends are teachers.  I do adore these crazy people.

This isn't an easy job.  I speak from the battlefield itself.  We get bombed with unexpected little surprises every day.  Hey, more tests!  Guess what, same pay!  What up, I'm going to need you to get this student with little to no motivation to pass this huge test so he can be successful in life!!  BAM!!

But, the good outweighs the bad.  This comes from my experience in the classroom, too.  I have built incredible relationships with students.  The most rewarding thing is to see a student years after teaching them and hearing their success.  One of my students posted this on my friend Heather's Facebook wall:

"Hey Mrs. Gladd!  Today is national Teacher Appreciation day and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate how much you and Ms. Barrier invested in me personally and influenced me not only to just do well but exceed expectations.  I'm officially a senior...double majoring in Public Relations and English and I know my love for English and writing didn't just come out of nowhere!  Anyways thank you two so much for everything!"

I mean...melt. my. heart.  THAT is why I do this.  THAT is why I trudge in the classroom to "test" and "get results" and "common core" this and "state assessment" that.  I teach because I might, just might be able to make a difference in a child's life.  That makes the war field worth it.

A few years ago, I wrote a post explaining how affected I'd been by my former teachers.  I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for teachers believing in me.  I could list all the teacher I've ever had.  That's how much they mean to me. To name a few:

Mrs. Hairfield taught me to read.
Mrs. Rhodes continued that love of learning.
Mrs. Boughman encouraged me to write.
Miss Ennis was the one who showed me that I might want to teach one day.
Mrs. Lawson taught me that school is also really fun.
Mrs. Evans encouraged me to keep on trying.
Mrs. Hasty taught me to care about others.
Mrs. Vaughn taught me how to be a strong, influential role model in the classroom.
Mrs. McKinney is my life mentor who continues to inspire me through her ways everyday.

Carolyn - taught me to be a patient teacher and to teach with heart.
Angela - taught me to take a deep breath and to know that there's so much you can do within a classroom.
Heather - taught me to be a teacher that truly cares.

I wouldn't be anywhere without my first teacher.  Mom.  My mom has been a teacher for 33 years.  She's finally retiring this year.  What a loss to the education world!  She was the one who read to me every night.  She ignited that fiery passion to love reading.  She taught me to love others and treat everyone with respect.  She's my #1 teacher and mom.

So, to everyone of you teachers out there - YOU ROCK.  I know the amazing things you do!  I know how tired you are at the end of the day.  I know that sometimes this job sucks, but it's completely worth it when you see the fire of understanding and learning within a student's eyes.

Go hug a teacher.  They probably need it :)

Here are just a few of my favorite teachers...there are so many more!!

My two favorite HS English teachers, Mrs. Vaughn and Mrs. McKinney

My friend and school mentor, Angela

This is the student who wrote that sweet note!  He's a senior in COLLEGE now!! That's Heather on the other side - she was (and still is) one of my teaching inspirations!

My fave RCHS peeps!

Carolyn, my second mom, confidante, friend, and mentor.

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...