Monday, April 29, 2013

April Books

This is a day early, but I somehow doubt I will be finishing a book tonight since I finished one last night.  I figured I would go ahead and give my monthly shout outs.  Because March was such a slow reading month, I tried to catch up with the month of April.  I read/finished four books - granted, one I had previously read about half of, but still counts as finishing it!!  

This month I read a really vast collection of books.  Mysteries, heavy material, historical, young adult, memoir...a mix of stuff.  They were all very different, yet had odd connections.  I really enjoyed them - but you're probably thinking, "Coley, you enjoy all your books!"  'Tis true, but I really did adore this month's selections!

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

I have been a fan of Picoult's since I first read My Sister's Keeper - which if you haven't read, GO DO IT NOW.  One of my favorite books.  Because her books tend to be so heavy, I usually space them out.  When I saw that she had a new book out, I was excited to see what it was about.  I was DOUBLY excited to find out it was about the Holocaust.  One of my favorite things to teach is the Holocaust.  I find it astonishing and hard to read about, but the survivors and victims inspire me.  I try to teach my students how incredibly important their VOICE is.  This book was a beautiful example of this.  The book is about a young woman that meets an elderly man and is asked to do the unthinkable.  It is because of this she begins to ask her grandmother about her past and is amazed by what she learns.  The majority of the story is about her grandmother's past as a young Jewish girl.  She is an amazing heroine and tells her story with such vigor and intensity, it leave the reader breathless.  Jodi Picoult did incredible research and it's impossible not to feel apart of the story.  Probably my second favorite Picoult book (after My Sister's Keeper).  I could not put this book down.  Incredible read.


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Ever since I saw the cover of this book in a store, I knew I had to read it.  You should know this about me.  I'm a huge "cover" person.  If it has a pretty cover, I'm more likely to buy it.  I don't even care what it's about - it has to be good, right?!  I wasn't disappointed by this book.  Riggs has the most intriguing way of writing and wrapping all of these elements together.  The book is not only a story, but it's also a collection of old, odd, peculiar pictures from decades ago.  He weaves each picture into the story to make a cast of unforgettable characters.  The protagonist, Jacob, suffers a great trauma that leads him all the way to a small island.  The connection I mentioned before is that he is trying to find out more about his grandfather and his history - just like the previous book.  Jacob is introduced to an incredible adventure he could have never imagined.  I will say that this book was somewhat dark.  A lot of darker elements, but it works in with the tone and mood of the book.  It left me wanting more - a somewhat ambiguous ending.  There is a sequel in the works and I can't wait to read it!  If you love amazing characters, a dash of history, mystery, and chills, this is the book for you.


Bloom: A Memoir by Kelle Hampton

Another blog I follow religiously is "Enjoying the Small Things".  It's written by Kelle Hampton, and if you've never read it - go read it now.  She is an astonishing woman that is so inspiring and wonderful.  I want to be friends with her!  She is the mother of three children, but Bloom is mainly about her birth and first year with her second child, Nella.  Nella is an adorable little girl.  You can tell by pictures and posts that she is precious, full of love and life.  She was born with down syndrome.  Kelle is so honest with the shock of this and how she overcame and realized, love overcomes everything.  She saw the gift with having a child that might be considered by some as "different".  She is remarkable, and oh my, her kids are so loved!  Not only is the book wonderfully written about Nella, it's just a beautiful book about life.  Add to that her remarkable pictures (and you know I'm a picture girl), the book has it all.  A truly inspiring read.  Go read the book, read her blog, follow her on Instragram!  She's incredible and always makes you feel good about life.



The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky 

I know I'm late to the party with this book.  I've wanted to read it since I was in high school, but just never found the time.  When I saw that it was being made into a film, I knew I had to read it.  I have a rule that I don't watch the movie until I read the book...just can't help that disappointment, haha.  The book is beautiful.  It's simple, yet powerfully deep.  Charlie, the protagonist, writes letters to his "friend".  He opens up and tells about his first year of high school.  He meets a group of kids that accepts and loves him.  He still struggles though.  I think that's what was so powerful within the book.  How honest he was.  You can't help but connect with him.  It was really interesting to read as a high school teacher.  You can't help but think of certain students and wonder if they're going through the same thing.  An eye-opening read.  


Great books!  Highly recommend them all!  This is my favorite part of reading...picking out the new one ;)






No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...