Friday, April 12, 2013

The Real "To-Do" List

This week has been nothing short of hectic and crazy.  I guess I should've expected that after a blissful week of Spring Break rest.  I came back to school for a workday on Monday and it's been non-stop ever since.  When I'm speed walking through the office, people have taken a notion to look at me like I'm crazy. "Are you okay?" they ask with wide eyes, "Oh yes, just on a mission!"

My to-do list has been brimming and busting at the seams.  Each day instead of crossing something off, it seems as if I add two more things.  Totally "one step forward-two steps back" type of deal.  Now, I don't mean to complain.  I love my job and the responsibilities that my school has allowed me to acquire.  I enjoy staying busy and feeling apart of this great community, but sometimes, when I'm laying in bed running through my to-do list, I beg my brain to just....stop.

It's easier said than done.  After talking with my therapist (oh yea) and my friend, I realized that my to-do lists are my coping mechanism.  When I can list it out, look at exactly what needs to be done, it somehow...as crazy as it seems...makes me feel better.  But it's also a catch-22, as in it also has the tendency to freak me out.

Stop.  Take a breath.  Let it out.  Breathe.

It's too much sometimes.  I let it get in the way of what is really important in my life.  I don't stop to take all the beauty that is in my life.  This morning I was turning out of my driveway and I looked up at the sky.  It stunned me in its beauty.  It was amazing to see such a grand sky after such a terrible storm, but isn't that life?  After the rain comes the sun.  This is life.  That is the real to-do list - taking in God's beauty and sweet blessings.


No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...