Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sweet Family- Blessings 16 and 17

Granny - My grandmother is one of my favorite people in this world.  She is my only living grandparent and has been since I was 3.  I was never able to meet my other grandmother, she died before I was born.  My grandfathers died when I was 3.  Growing up, I was always kind of sad when I heard other kids talking about all their grandparents, but somehow Granny made up for all that.  She is so amazing!  She is like 4 grandparents in 1.  Even though I would've loved the opportunity to know my other grandparents, she's enough.  She has always been my rock and constant supporter.  She offers love, hugs, smiles, songs, and grilled cheeses.  My cousins, sister, and I used to always stay with her on Saturday nights when we were growing up.  Her house was paradise to me.  When we would get settled into bed, she would sing us a song or tell us a story and it was magical.  One time in college I was particularly homesick and I called her and asked her to sing to me.  She did.  It was awesome.  She still cooks for all the family once a month and you can find her in the kitchen at every holiday getting ready for all of us to come and eat.  My favorite thing about Granny is that she has this incredible amount of love for everyone.  She always wants to give and helps others all the time.  I can't imagine my life without her.  She always tells me, "It'll come out in the wash."  I believe her.  She is one of the biggest blessings in my life and I'm truly, truly thankful for her.


Cousins - I have a normal size family and was fortunate to be able to grow up with my cousins.  On my dad's side, I have Leah and Katy.  Leah and I are 12 days apart and have literally grown up together.  We have played every 'make believe' game imaginable, she's attempted to teach me lots of sports and how to ride a bicycle,  and she makes me laugh like no one else.  Leah is incredibly talented and very down to earth.  We pick up right where we left off whether it's been 1 week or 4 weeks since we've seen each other.  It was great to be able to grow up with someone so close in age.  We were always together and I cherish every memory made with her.  Katy is my other cousin on my dad's side.  She is my sister's age.  Katy is creative and sweet and very much like me.  We have the same quirks and laugh at a lot of the same things.  She is the only person I've ever allowed to highlight my hair!  Katy brought a huge blessing to our family when she had her daughter, Stevie.  Stevie is the sweetest, smartest, most gorgeous kid you'll ever meet!

On my mom's side, I have 2 cousins, though I lost one cousin when I was in college to cancer.  Melissa was an incredible person, she lost her battle to cancer in 2005, though I still remember all the sweet memories I have of her.  Kara is my other cousin and she is hilarious!  I don't get to see her as often as I'd like.  She has a sweet family of her own.  We see each other on holidays and family gatherings and when we can.  I remember wanting to be like Melissa and Kara growing up, they're great people.

                                          Leah and Me back in the day...

                                                 The Barrier Girls...

Family is a wonderful thing.  I'm fortunate to have a great family.  They are sweet blessings in my life!

No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...