Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful 4, 5, and 6!


Books -
This is coming off of yesterday when I said that I was in a reading funk!  None the less, every single day I get to teach and incorporate books into my classroom, I am thankful for the gift of reading.  People take for granted that they are able to read the words that are on this page.  I have always said one of the best things my mom ever did for me was reading to me every day when I was little.  Such a seemingly small gesture has made me the person I am.  When I read a book, I am in another place.  I can identify, I can point and think, yes, this is how I feel!  I can transform, absorb, love.  Even in a 'reading funk', I still always have a book by my bed, and I'm fortunate that my job allows me to be a constant reader.  One of my favorite things in my classroom is to read to my students and ask them their thoughts.  I look forward to the day that I can decorate my forever house and have my very own big library filled to the brim with books!!  The first thing I will do as a mom is read to my child and I hope I instill the love of reading to my future offspring!  So, I'm thankful for books, for reading, and most importantly, I'm thankful my mom filled my childhood room with books and gave me my love for reading.

Sweet Students -
I have had lots of ups and downs in the classroom.  I've said before that this has been one of the toughest years that I've had in teaching.  Lots of frustration and confusion.  However, every single time I have been curious as to why I stick around, I think about the sweet students that have affected me.  One particular day this semester, somewhat at my wits ends, I made a list.  I listed all the students that had made an impact on me.  Then I thought of my most frustrating students.  The latter list didn't hold a candle to the first one.  I have far more students that have been a blessing than a curse!  These students check in, protect, smile, write sweet notes, and genuinely make me feel I've made a difference. I remind myself (I've done it a lot this year) of these students and why I chose to do what I do.  Teachers certainly aren't shown appreciation in pay...but, I suspect that we do it for our kids.  I know I was affected by teachers, so to pay them back, I will try to teach my best for the students that learn from me.  I'm thankful for each student that I've taught that has made me feel appreciated and loved.

Teachers -
As mentioned before, I have been affected by the teachers that I've had.  I wrote a post about how much I will always adore my educators.  I still call Mrs. McKinney for advice and help.  Every time I plan a lesson or grade a paper I have a stronger appreciation for all of the teachers I had growing up.  I am even more thankful for the current 'teachers' I have.  Carolyn and Heather are two of my current 'teachers' I teach with that continue to educate me on how to be a great teacher.  If you're reading this, go thank a teacher, trust me, they'll appreciate it more than you know!


No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...