Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February Books

This year started off with a few re-reads, but February has been full of new (and awesome) reads that have been great.  I am a HUGE book addict.  I see a pretty cover, and I have to pick it up and buy it!  Luckily, all the ones I've picked up lately have been great reads.

I started off the month finishing the "Big Stone Gap" series.  Several years after Adriana Trigiani finished her third book in the series, she revisited and wrote a fourth book, Home to Big Stone Gap.  I didn't read this with the originals, and even though I've had it for a few years, had not read it.  When I decided to re-read the series, it gave me a great excuse to read it!  It actually makes a lot more sense when you read it right after because it picks right back up where the third one finished.  Ave Marie is settling into her life, but still finding adventure everywhere.  It's so crazy how much I identify with this character.  We worry about the same things, we think the same way, and we often have the same life desires.  The book continues with the supporting character's stories as well.  It continues the series and ends it in a nice way.  I would love for Trigiani to write another book for this series!  But, for now, lovely ending!


I couldn't decide what to read next.  I was actually in the middle of another book, but couldn't resist reading the book I chose.  I had heard so many awesome reviews for The Fault in Our Stars, and let me tell you, all were correct.  I COULD NOT put this book down.  It is probably one of the best books I've read in a long time, and trust me, I've read a lot of good books.  I finished it in three days.  I brought it to school and read it  while my student teacher was teaching; I was absolutely hooked.  It is actually a "young adult" book, but John Green, the author, writes in a way that appeals to all ages.  The Fault in Our Stars is about Hazel, a 16 year old girl who has cancer.  Before you think, whoa, I can't read that, I was hesitant and had the same thought, but the amazing thing is how Green portrays Hazel.  She's matter of fact and doesn't feel sorry for herself.  She is so intelligent and has the best dialogue.  She meets Augustus (Gus) in a support group and they instantly bond and form a connection.  The story is about the two of them, finding adventure, and coming to terms with the harsh realities of life.  The most amazing thing about this story is how much you end up falling in love with the characters.  They become your family, your friends, and you can't help but read their story.  I can't recommend this book enough, and I won't lie - it is sad.  However, Green writes in a way that you become so invested in the characters, the cancer isn't the biggest part of the story - they are.  Do yourself a favor and go read this book!



After a pretty "heavy" book, I wanted to read something "light".  Girls in White Dresses was the perfect solution!  I knew I was going to love this book as soon as I started it. It's interesting because it's not a huge plot driven book, rather it's almost like a series of little stories with common elements, themes, and characters.  I loved this because it's so perfect for a girl in her 20's!!  There were so many places that I thought, 'Oh my gosh, that is so true!!'  It follows the characters through the end of college and finding first jobs and places to moving into the latter 20's and seeing friends get married and starting to have babies.  Very light, funny, and thoughtful.  Would definitely recommend to any girl in her 20's!  


Continuing the "light" then "dark/heavy" read pattern, reading Thirteen Reasons Why is a must.  I think any high school teacher should read it, and definitely high school students.  It's a pretty "heavy" book, and has some intense content, meaning there is talk of rape and suicide.  However, it is so life changing.  I have had so many conversations with my students about the power of words and the actions that people provoke.  This book is the perfect example of how that is true.  The novel centers around two protagonists, Hannah and Clay.  Hannah is a student that committed suicide, though people aren't sure why.  Clay receives 7 tapes in the mail with the note to read them.  As he does, he hears Hannah's story and all the people who have been connected through her story.  A powerful read and one that I feel is necessary for all of us to realize how we affect one another.  





No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...