Friday, February 1, 2013

January Books

I have made (another) resolution for my new year.  I want to discuss and write about the lovely books I read.  I also made a promise to myself to read more.  Whether it be articles, novels, or whatever, just reading more.  January has proven to be a great start.  I started just a little bit before the new year, but still counting it in January :)

My reading journey into the new year actually began with a re-read.  Occasionally, I like to re-read a book from years ago.  I love to re-visit books to remind myself of why I loved it in the first place.  Several years ago, I can't recall when, I read Adriana Trigiani's Big Stone Gap series.  It's an incredible series about the protagonist Ave Marie Mulligan MacChensey.  She is a strong, yet vulnerable woman, and I love her character.

The first book, Big Stone Gap, is the introduction into the series.  The reader is introduced to the colorful array of characters that fill this book with humor.  I think I love this book because I relate to Ave.  She is older, and still...gasp...single!  She struggles to find happiness with being a woman in this changing world.  She is also dealing with the loss of her mother, and she is finding out secrets kept from her along the way. I adore the characters and the setting of this book.  It isn't too far from home, and it has that mountain feeling that reminds me of my home.  The supporting characters are just as entertaining as the protagonist.  The first book is probably my favorite.  I find myself unable to put it down and was so fascinated by the story.  Even though it was my second time reading this, it was still such a fabulous read.


In the second book, Big Cherry Holler, Ave has married Jack MacChesney - or Jack Mac - and they are raising their daughter, Etta.  Even though they have a seemingly strong marriage, this book brings Ave to question a lot about her life, her marriage, and her faith in family.  Jack and Ave are battling a huge loss and struggle to figure out how to heal and move forward.  Again, the other characters is this book are so rich with humor and love, the reader can't help but fall in love with them as well.  This novel has a lot of soul searching, and I love when a protagonist tries to figure herself (or himself) out.  I love Ave Marie, and she reminds me of myself, especially with how she worries and holds on to things.  This is my favorite quotes from the novel:

"As Alice lets go, so do I.  I let go of my mistakes, the unattainable standards I have for my husband, my daughter, and myself, and my bitterness toward those who hurt me; mostly, I let go of my pride, which I thought had kept me whole but in reality almost ruined me.  I was holding on so tightly to being right, to being perfect.  There is only one lesson in all of this: let go.  And when you think you've let it go completely, let go again." 


The third book in the series is called Milk Glass Moon.  It was originally the last book in the series, but Trigiani has added another book.  It's a lovely book that continues to explore Ave Marie.  This one brings a new set of challenges to the characters.  I love Trigiani's little descriptions of things.  The family goes to Italy (that's where Ave Marie's family is from) and just from reading, I felt like I was there.  She has a beautiful style of writing.  I continue to love the characters and finding out their story lines.  Ave Marie's daughter is growing up and it's interesting to see how she handles the challenges of parenting.  


There is a fourth book in the series, and that is what I'm reading next.  In the midst of these books, I've been reading another book I can't wait to tell you about.  3 (and a half) books down...so, so, so many more to go!  





No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...