Sunday, June 30, 2013

June Books

I'm having another "slow" reading month.  I really thought that once summer started, the books would fly off my shelf!  Alas, they have not.  I blame part of this to a slightly new addiction called watching "Scandal".  If you don't watch this show...go watch it.  It's awesome.

I was able to complete two novels!  Both are classics in their own rights.  And I credit my friend Lexie for getting me to read both of them.  One more than the other, but I was afraid she would condemn and end our friendship if I didn't read The Great Gatsby.  So, way to go Lexie!

1. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk


This is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting books I've ever read.  As said before, Lexie wanted me to read this for a long time.  It's her all time favorite book.  I felt like I needed to give it a chance.  I had also always wanted to see the film version, but usually have the strict rule of reading before viewing.  If you are a person that doesn't mind confusion, mind twists, language, thinking A LOT, and interesting...really interesting...characters, you should definitely give this book a try.  I definitely think it's worth it.  It is most definitely a page turner as the reader tries to process what is going on and what the characters are doing.  The story centers around the main (nameless) protagonist and his new "friend" Tyler.  They begin the "fight club" and the rest spirals from there.  I was eager to watch the film after finishing reading it.  Very entertaining, some subtle differences though.  I recommend, but only with a very open mind!

2. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald


I am quite ashamed that I've never read this.  After watching the movie (I know, I know...I broke my rule), I knew I had to read it.  It's a quick read, but oh, how rich.  The characters are so powerful in the story.  The reader is immediately transported into this time period in America.  I found myself longing to meet Daisy and spend time with Jay Gatsby.  I wanted to slap Tom and warn Nick that he was heading down a dangerous road with these people.  But more than that, the language of Fitzgerald is simply magical.  He writes so beautifully.  I think I was even more entranced because of reading Call Me Zelda last month.  It really helped me to see how much of Zelda that Scott put in Daisy.  The language, setting, and rich characters make this a powerful and unforgettable read.  I actually didn't think I'd be able to teach this, but am rearranging my AP syllabus to fit this in!  Highly, highly recommend!!

I hope to read more in July!  I've started a really good book, but keep getting caught up in my tv addictions! I hope to have more reads for next month :)


No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...