Sunday, March 10, 2013

Big Fish - A Life of Storytelling

Yesterday I decided to have an "off" day.  I knew that today (Sunday) would need to be semi-productive - side note, totally not happening - so, I wanted to soak in all the laziness that I could.  I went to watch tv and of course there was nothing on, so I went to Netflix.  I saw that "Big Fish" was listed and I've wanted to see this film for some time.  I was definitely, definitely not disappointed.

I really and truly can't recommend this movie enough.  It's actually based on a book, so as an English teacher, I feel like I should tell you to go out and read the book first, but whichever you prefer just as long as your get your hands on one of them.

I was so hooked (haha, how punny - Big Fish!!) on this film, and this is saying something. I'm usually that person that is antsy watching a movie, anxiously waiting for it to be over so I can go find something else to do.  Not this one.  I was enthralled from the very beginning.

The story is based on a father and son.  As the father is dying, his son tries to understand all the tales that his father spent his life telling him.  They just couldn't be true, they were too fantastically made up.  The story goes through and tells the father's life through his "tall tales".  It just captures you.  The wildness, the humor, the rich storytelling.

As I sat there watching the credits, tears pooling my eyes, I couldn't figure out what made it so special to me.  But then it dawned on me, it reminded me of my grandmother.

I have spent my entire life being told wonderfully delicious tales by my grandmother.  My favorite thing about them is that she always embellishes just a wee bit.  Not enough to make it untrue, but just enough to make you think, wow, that was incredible.  She tells me about her childhood, her courtship with my grandfather, raising three boys, funny stories about my cousins and me.  She tells them with patience and grace.  I love them so much.  Watching that movie made me feel like I was listening to her.  It was magical.

There is something so wonderful about storytelling.  I love telling stories from my childhood and early adulthood.  My favorite thing is for someone to tell me a little story about something funny that happened to them.  I think it connects all of us.  We feel genuinely intrigued at the wonder and mystery of this crazy thing called life and all the magic it holds.

Do yourself and read Big Fish or watch it, or go ask your grandparent or parent to tell you a tale.  You won't regret it.




No comments:

The House

Every time I walk to my bedroom, I look in the room that used to be my grandmother's bedroom.  I look for her bed and her laying in it ...